Cooperative Education (Co-op) Frequently Asked Questions

Internships and co-ops offer a student experiential learning in their career field; the primary difference is that internships are confined to the summer months while co-ops can be a combination of semesters.

Many employers tend to favor co-ops because students have a more in-depth experience due to the additional time spent on the job.  In the summer months, an employer is able to train and acclimate a student during an internship, and then it's time for school to begin.  The additional time spent at a co-op allows the student to take ownership of a project and earn the experience and respect of a full-time employee.

There are no restrictions for sophomores, juniors and seniors. The process to register and obtain a co-op offer typically takes one semester.

Transfer:  May begin immediately.
Freshman:  After completion of two semesters on campus.
Graduate:  After completion of one semester, unless the student obtained an undergraduate degree from Missouri S&T.
International:  Students must complete 9 months of academic studies at Missouri S&T prior to starting a co-op position.

You may choose to co-op for only one semester or several semesters, depending on the arrangements or the agreement with the employer(s).  International students can co-op for up to 12 months only (total).

The co-op fee is the equivalent charge of the educational fee of one in-state, undergraduate credit hour, regardless of out-of-state residence status, plus a $100 processing fee.  Once you register your co-op position with Career Opportunities and Employer Relations, this fee will automatically be applied to your student account each semester you co-op (fall, spring, summer/fall, or spring/summer). If academic credit is granted, regular in-state/out-of-state tuition rates apply, based upon the number of credit hours received

Yes, each co-op - fall, spring, summer/fall, and spring/summer- must be registered with COER. International students must complete the appropriate CPT forms with international affairs.

Once you receive a written offer letter, you will complete the following:

1. Log into MinerJobs.

2. Click on "Report a Co-Op Hire" on the left side.

3. Fill out the online form.

4. Upload your offer letter.

5. "Save" prior to the start of the next semester.

These steps ensure you maintain your student status with the Registrar while working away from campus.  If you are an international student that has accepted an internship, please stop by international affairs to obtain your CPT/ J1 paperwork, and then bring them to the COER to complete the process.

1. Holds on a student’s Joe'SS account.

2. Needing a waiver.  Reasons for a waiver include the following:

      • Being on scholastic probation
      • Going on co-op two semesters in a row
      • Not being a full-time student the semester prior to the co-op
      • Being in freshmen class standing

Your offer letter needs to have the dates that you will be on co-op, such as May-December 2016 or January-May 2017.  The offer letter also needs to state the rate of pay you will be receiving, such as $17.00 per hour/ or $4,000.00 per month. 

The decision to accept a co-op position is yours to make and will depend upon your personal and professional goals. The advantages that co-op students receive typically reduces concern about graduation dates.  Co-ops are a tremendous opportunity to "try on" your chosen profession, understand your industry and gain confidence as a professional prior to graduation. Students report that co-ops have multiplied job offers and increased salary.

Yes, but that is your advisor's decision whether or not to award you that credit. Not all departments offer credit for co-ops. Your academic faculty advisor must approve your co-op 202 credit.  You must speak with your advisor before going on co-op.



Your financial aid will not be issued while on co-op but will be available when you return to school. Most scholarships are frozen while on co-op.  Please speak with Student Financial Assistance before you leave in order to verify everything is in order.

No, when you turn in your co-op forms to the COER, we let Registrar's know that you are on co-op and are still considered a full-time student.  You will not be penalized for going on a co-op.  Additionally, you are able to continue distance or online classes while on co-op if you prefer.

You will still need to pay the Student Health Services fee for fall and spring semesters if you register to take a co-op for credit, since it is considered a class.  If you take a co-op without credit, there is no charge (since it is not registered as a class).  Most students can still be on their parent’s insurance plans (up until age 26) while on co-op.  If you need documentation for insurance purposes, visit the Registar’s website to obtain the Certification Letter Request Form that verifies you are considered a full-time student.  The form is also located at

If you accept a position, then you are obligated to that position.  Let the company who presented you with the newer offer know that you appreciate the offer but that you have already accepted an offer and would like for them to keep you in mind next summer.