The Missouri S&T Externship Program, sponsored by Career Opportunities & Employer Relations (COER), provides students with opportunities to gain leadership development experience in a corporate setting for 1-5 days during Spring Break 2017 (March 26 - April 3). Externships are a great opportunity for students to make sure their major is a good fit, learn more about a company's culture, gain industry experience and learn more about a company's operations.
Benefits, Eligibility, Placement and Responsibilities
Although externships are not for academic credit or pay, the experience greatly benefits students and corporate sponsors. The externship gives the student the ability to refine career goals and redefine academic motivation while allowing the sponsor to examine the interests, skills and competencies of participating students. This is a great networking opportunity!
- Some companies may require that students be US citizens or permanent residents
- Externs must be enrolled as full-time students at Missouri S&T during the Fall 2016 semester
- All Missouri S&T applicants will be considered, but priority will be given to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
Interested students must apply to the Career Opportunities & Employer Relations. Students wishing to participate in the SP 2017 Externship Program are strongly encouraged to apply by the priority deadline of January 10, 2017. Applications will be accepted through February 3, 2017 and placements will be announced in mid-late February. All arrival and scheduling details shall be arranged directly between the student and the sponsoring company.
COER will review each application to determine whether the student meets the program eligibility requirements. Reasonable efforts will be made to place students with professionals in their field of interest. The number of students selected to participate will depend on the number and types of corporate sponsors. Once a successful student-sponsor match is made, the student will be notified via email and registered for the required orientation workshop, which will be held in the spring.
Students must be available 1-5 days any time during Spring Break (March 16-March 20, 2017) and be able to secure their own lodging accommodations for and travel to the host site. Students may be required to participate in additional orientation/training at the host corporation. The host corporation requirements must be strictly abided by the student.
- Companies will commit to sponsoring students for a period of 1-5 days.
- Schedule of programming is at the company’s discretion, but should provide a general overview of the company’s operations and insight into the company’s unique take on the themes of corporate responsibility and accountability described in the Global Sullivan Principles.